Many things need to be taken into account when recycling gold. To name a few, the carat of the gold, the colour, the intended design and the weight of the gold.
9ct gold contains 37.5% pure gold, the other 62.5% is usually a mixture of silver and base metals, 18ct gold contains 75% pure gold and 25% of the other metals. It is these base metals that can cause problems in the reuse of the gold. They can cause cracking and numerous other imperfections in the finished product. When metal has this problem it is best not to use it at all. To ascertain if our clients metal is workable we have to go through the melting process and then rolling the metal through mills (the first stage of the manufacturing process). If the metal cracks it will not be usable and a scrap metal trade-in price will be offered. Or if preferred, the gold could be melted into a nugget and worn as a charm or pendant.
Some designs are best achieved by being carved in wax, and then cast. Customers’ old gold cannot be used in the casting process.
Stones that have been damaged in everyday wear may need re-cutting. In some cases it is even possible that set stones may have become chipped under the setting edge and the setting has held them together. When taken out of the setting these stones may fall apart and not be usable
Before and after
Before and after
Finding The Desired Design
The time that is taken to achieve this can vary between clients. A client may like one of our existing designs, or have a design in mind that fits with the stones and metal they already have. Others may have an idea of what they like however the stones and metal they have makes their desired piece of jewellery hard to achieve. In these cases it may be advisable to add new metal and stones (to what the client has) or leave some stones out (they can be used in a different piece at a later date).
Individual Design Consultations are best done by appointment.
11-13 Cochrone st Kincumber NSW 2251 PH: 0243686818 Email : firstname.lastname@example.org